Council to reveal cuts as it writes off €5m | Galway City
Cash-strapped Galway City Council will reveal a full list of proposed cutbacks to services in the coming weeks – already the local authority has spent most of its funding for 2012.
Interim City Manager Joe O’Neill told councillors this week that he will be presenting them with a list of proposed cuts ahead of their meeting next month.
So far this year, €19.4m of the €51.2m owed to the Council has been collected, leaving a shortfall of €31.8m.
Councillor Padraig Conneely said he was told this week that €16.4m was carried over to 2012 and invoices for rates due, totalling €34.8m, were sent out this year.
“As the City Council is heavily reliant on rates to run services in the city, this is a matter of great concern. “I’m told that in the region of €5m will be written off as ‘uncollectable’ – this arises because of businesses that are in liquidation or receivership.
“The rates are the biggest source of income for the Council and are used for services all around the city. Without the money, the city will suffer,” said Cllr Conneely.
Posted on September 21, 2012, in Local politics and tagged Che Guevara, City Council, Council, Dublin, Galway, Galway City Council, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Ireland. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.