Iran Election 2013 – Your Questions Answered
On Friday, Iran is holding an election for a new president. In total 7 contenders are hoping to gain the presidency after 1 contender dropped out earlier this month. Although Iran has no true political parties the candidates are ideological distinct (4 are conservatives and 3 are cautious reformers)
Is the current President standing?
The current president – President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad – is unable to serve another term after already serving a maximum of two consecutive terms.
Who are the candidates for the presidency?
– Saeed Jalili who is Iran’s security of the National Security Council and a chief negotiator in foreign affairs
– Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, mayor of Tehran
– Ali Akbar Velayati, an aide of Khamenei
– Mohsen Rezai
The reform candidates:
– Mohammad Reza Aref, the former vice-president
– Hassan Rowhani, former nuclear negotiator
– Mohammad Gharazi, an ex-minister
Who did not make it through vetting?
In total 678 people…
View original post 345 more words