The UK-based energy firm Enegi has confirmed to the paper that it intends to apply to the Irish authorities for an exploration licence before next February.
But locals have already objected as extraction of the shale gas will involve ‘fracking’.
Roisin Ni Ghairbhith of Clare Fracking Concerned told the paper: “What Enegi Oil need to realise is that the people of Clare value their health, water, environment and most of all their children a lot more than any short-term jobs.
“The public, the entire County Council and the IFA in Clare have all said no to fracking ever happening in this county.”
The report states that a study carried out on behalf of Enegi by Fugro Robertson Ltd calculates the recoverable resource estimates for the area to be between 1.49 trillion cubic feet and 3.86 trillion cubic feet of shale gas.
Enegi chief Alan Minty said: “Clare Basin is a highly prospective project and we are delighted to be involved at this early stage.
“Our findings and the report from Fugro have further endorsed management’s belief that the Clare Basin has a strong best case investment profile.
“The whole acreage appears to be very prospective and we are particularly excited by the area at the centre of the existing seismic grid which we have defined as high grade.”
The find is located between Doonbeg and Kilrush in the west of the county.
A statement from Enegi said: “We have undertaken some preliminary economic analysis which has confirmed the viability of the proposed project.”
SIXTY families with children who have special needs, some with high dependency issues, have been left in limbo with the closure, without notice, of the adult respite service in Fountain View, Abbeyleix.
No notice was given to families by the HSE funded Muiriosa Foundation, which runs the centre.
“We got no letter, only told last weekend,” said Ms Walsh. Last Sunday week, as Clare left, the adult respite centre’s beds were already being dismantled.
Clare had been attending the adult respite centre a few times a year for over ten years.
She benefited from time out of the house with her friends and visits to the cinema among other activities.
Use whatever means necessary to get the money says Hogan as he stands four square with councils over student grants
Those who have not paid their household charges should not receive student grants.
They are asking people, and they are putting in place plans to get in the remaining monies that are owed to them. That’s what any businesses would do” Says Hogan.
Earlier Education Minister Ruairí Quinn added his support to the councils.
If this was, a business charges the banks would be, broke, end of story, and the people would not be paying for government and banker’s mistakes.
The legality of what the councils are doing is questionable and may not stand up if questioned before the courts.
USI president John Logue said: “The action taken by Clare County Council must be condemned in the strongest terms. This is an unprecedented move. Never have I heard of a grant being refused until proof of payment is offered for a completely unrelated tax owed by another person.
“Students are being punished for the decisions of their parents and their education is being put at risk.”
Pamela Rochford, a spokesperson for the Clare branch of the Campaign against Household and Water Taxes, accused the council of using scare tactics with the move.