They may have the world’s highest taxes, but it’s totally worth it.
1. Many of your favorite pastries come from Denmark. Hello delicious danish!
Ex. The traditional Danish kringle.
2. THE LITTLE MERMAID is Danish.
3. They have one of the oldest and most well-liked Monarchies in all of Europe.
4. They have incredible architecture. Both modern.
The Royal Library
5. They are known for their functional design sensibilities.
Much like their Swedish neighbors (Ikea, anyone?)
6. Co-housing was invented in Denmark and many Danes still live in co-housing situations.
Which means less cooking, cleaning and even childcare. People always say, “it takes a village.” The Danes just actually do it.
7. Their universities are 100% FREE to attend and are absolutely beautiful.
Tietgen’s outdoor courtyard.
Natural light study space.
I mean is this college or a FIVE STAR HOTEL?!
8. In Copenhagen, commuters have a biking super highway.
50% of Copenhageners commute to work via bike.
9. The Danes are ranked number one in the world in terms of life-experience.
In this year’s HPI, experienced well-being is assessed using a question called the ‘Ladder of Life’ from the Gallup World Poll. This asks respondents to imagine a ladder, where 0 represents the worst possible life and 10 the best possible life, and report the step of the ladder they feel they currently stand on.
10. And have consistently been ranked some of the world’s happiest people. Their secret? Realistic expectations.
11. They also have the happiest employees in the world.
Even WORKING is fun in Denmark.
12. Which is probably because they have INSANE benefits. The average maternity leave is 52 weeks and is 100% PAID FOR.
Yes, you heard me right. ONE FULL YEAR OF PAID MATERNITY LEAVE. For comparison, the average maternity leave in the U.S. is just 12 weeks, and is not nationally guaranteed.
13. If you lose your job, the government will continue to pay 90% of your salary for up to 4 YEARS!
I know, it’s truly MIND BLOWING!
14. Finally, VIKINGS are originally from Denmark*. And you can’t get much cooler than Vikings.
*and the surrounding areas