4.000 animals died in mad frenzy at hands of sick farmer with Dept Agriculture watching.
WATERFORD : BARBARIC PIG FARMER WHO USED SLEGE-HAMMER ON PIGS NOW ON THE TAX DEFAULTERS LIST.
A farmer who single-handedly slaughtered almost 4,000 pigs in a frenzied attack after a banned food additive was discovered on his farm was ordered to pay over €71,000 in fines and legal costs. Pig farmer Thomas Galvin from Ballinamuck, Dungarvan, Co Waterford denied 29 charges brought against him. Galvin was found guilty of a string of offences including the movement of pigs onto and off restricted lands following the discovery of a highly toxic additive, Carbadox, in April 2002.
NOW animal abuser Tom Galvin of Ballyhanrahan Co Waterford is on the current Tax Defaulters List for Underdeclaration of Income Tax, Revenue bogus Non Resident Account Investigation case.
A TOTAL amount of euro 186,596.00 is listed with a penalty of euro 48,798.00.
AFAR considers the violations committed against sentient and gentle animals who were bludgeoned by both sledgehammer and the use of a bolt gun by GALVIN [which was then videoed at the time ] to be the most vile of crimes. His suspended sentence then did not fit the crime he committed.
• In 2002-The court also heard how pigs taken from the restricted area eventually made it onto supermarket shelves. On 4/11/06 at Clonmel District Court Galvin was also found guilty of obstructing and impeding an SIU officer. The judge convicted Galvin on 19 charges. He imposed fines totalling €15,200 and a five-month suspended prison sentence. Galvin was also ordered to pay over €56,000 in costs.
A lobby group formed less than two weeks ago brought more than 12,000 people onto the streets of Waterford at the weekend in protest against what they see as the latest official attack on the city.
The group, Save Waterford, staged the demonstration in response to fears of a downgrading of Waterford Regional Hospital.
Organisers, who joined with the Waterford Gives a Shirt campaigning group for Saturday’s event, said they were also angry about other “Government neglect” of Waterford and the wider region.
Examples cited included the plan to merge Waterford City Council with the county council and job losses that have left the area with the highest unemployment rate in the country.
“The people of Waterford and the people of the southeast have sent a clear message: don’t touch our hospital,” organiser Andrea Galgey said.
She and fellow organiser Gillian Sauvage Corcoran came together on Facebook and established Save Waterford.
“The hospital was the final nail in the coffin for the people of Waterford. Enough is enough. There is no county in Ireland that hasn’t been hit by the recession, but if you look at the statistics Waterford has been hit more than others,” Ms Galgey said.
The march trended on Twitter throughout Saturday afternoon and the group’s Facebook page had almost 3,400 “likes”.
The march came amid speculation that the Government will move to implement the report of an expert group, currently with the Department of Health, that is believed to recommend the break-up of the southeast’s hospital network.
Such a plan would see Waterford Regional Hospital and South Tipperary General Hospital linking up with Cork University Hospital and St Luke’s General Hospital in Kilkenny, and Wexford General Hospital partnering with teaching hospitals in Dublin. It is feared in Waterford that the end of the southeastern network would lead to some services being transferred from the region.
Minister for Health James Reilly said last week no decision had yet been made on the issue.
Government TDs Paudie Coffey (Fine Gael) and Ciara Conway (Labour) from Waterford were at the march, along with Independent politicians including TD John Halligan and politicians from neighbouring counties such as Carlow-Kilkenny FG TD John Paul Phelan.
Others who attended included Prof Riona Mulcahy, consultant geriatrician at Waterford Regional Hospital.
“I marched first and foremost as a mother of five young children and as a concerned citizen,” she said.
The hospital’s clinical director, Dr Rob Landers, said the organisers and everyone who took part deserved “great credit for standing up and being counted” in support of the southeast’s hospitals.
Kerry protest: Taoiseach heckled
Taoiseach Enda Kenny told a group of protesters in Killarney, Co Kerry, who shouted at him about his “pension pot” and accused him of neglecting the poor: “I don’t come from a family of millionaires.”
The protesters, who said they were from the United Left Alliance’s Kerry branch, heckled Mr Kenny as he approached the Plaza Hotel.
Asked by a woman who he would meet in heaven, he said: “I hope to meet St Peter at the gate, anyway. I hope he sends me to the right- hand side.”
Mr Kenny was attending the awarding of the Msgr Hugh O’Flaherty international humanitarian award to Sr Agnes Hunt, the first woman to be appointed chaplain of a men’s prison in England.
A Cork woman who suffered the tragic loss of her two young daughters after her husband took his own life and theirs revealed last Wednesday that the H.S.E. conducted an inquiry without telling her.
Almost two years ago in November 2010, John Butler killed Zoe (6) and Ella (2) and then himself in Ballycotton. Mr. Butler had been suffering from depression and had been receiving medical attention, until three months before his death.
In a statement released by a solicitor acting for Una Butler, it was revealed that she first became aware of the investigation only after meeting Minister of State with responsibility for mental health Kathleen Lynch in May.
[Source: Cork Independent
Fears that the people of Athy and south Kildare will have to wait longer for an ambulance in an emergency due to changes at the local ambulance base were expressed last week.
However the H.S.E. has moved to allay the fears and say the cost saving changes will not impact on front-line services.
Speaking at the recent meeting of Athy Town Council, Clr. Mary O’Sullivan called on the H.S.E. to provide reassurance that the present ambulance service in Athy would not be curtailed or withdrawn.
[Source: Kildare Nationalist]
A Polish woman who is dying from leukaemia received her final wish last week, after donations from the public allowed her to fly home to Poland.
Marta Salacka (27), a mother of a four year-old son, needed $26,000 to fly home to Poland on an air ambulance, as she was not permitted to travel on routine flights because of her condition.
The young woman, who hails from Gorzow Wielkopolski, near the German border, wanted to be at home with all her family in her final days.
There were emotional scenes in Limerick as she and her family bid farewell to their close friends, whom they have known for the past seven years.
[Source: Limerick Leader]
Patients and medical staff in Cashel are “gravely disturbed” that an x-ray machine in Our Lady’s Hospital is out of action due to a mechanical defect, according to a local medical doctor and county councilor.
Mayor of Cashel Dr. Séan McCarthy also said passengers travelling through Thurles Railway Station could not use the car park without fear of being fined, or having their cars clamped, as the ticket vending machines are out of order.
Dr. McCarthy told the Tipperary Star the x-ray machine on the grounds of Our Lady’s has been out of order for the week or so, and there is mounting concern.
[Source: Tipperary Star]
A meeting took place last Thursday evening between the Master of the City and County Infirmary Trust, Mr. Gordon Watson, and elected representatives from the city and county to discuss growing gears that hospital services in Waterford and the region could be seriously eroded.
The meeting at Waterford Institute of Technology had been called amid fears that approval is to be given for a recommendation for the complete break-up of the regional hospital network.
That would mean a downgrade of W.R.H. and Waterford networking with Cork and Clonmel while people from Wexford and Kilkenny requiring hospital care would have to travel to Dublin.
[Source: Waterford News & Star]
Phil Hogan‘s proposals would reduce the number of councillors from over 1,600 to 950
All 80 town councils around the country are to be abolished, and county councillors will instead have a role at district level.
Cork and Galway will retain city as well as county councils, while Dublin will keep its current four councils.
All of this will reduce the number of councillors from over 1,600 to 950.
The targeted voluntary redundancy scheme should see an estimated saving of €45m per year.
A directly elected Mayor for Dublin is still a possibility, but only after voters in the capital are consulted in a plebiscite to be held alongside the local elections in 2014.
Waterford mother-of-three Andrea Galgey was so fed up with budget cuts she posted an online invitation for politicians to put themselves in her shoes.
The father of two admits he’s not quite sure what he’s in for: “It’s early in the project and a lot of details have to be worked out.
“It has been said, probably rightly, that policy makers are seldom affected by decisions they make so this is an opportunity to explore that.
“It is a chance to see how decisions made in Leinster House affect people in the community.”
CUTBACKS to the Local Government fund for County Waterford are not as severe as previously feared, however Minister Phil Hogan is still refusing to release the third quarterly allowance of €507,000 and will reduce the amount available in the final quarter if more home owners don’t stump up payment for the household charge.
The news was greeted by some relief at last week’s meeting of Waterford County Council, which came two weeks after councillors abandoned their meeting at the start of the month such was their fury at the possibility of the council losing €2m in funding.
After seeking clarification from Minister Phil Hogan, management at the County Council learned that the adjustment made to the General Purpose Grant payment in Quarter 3 is confirmed and will not be reviewed further. No reason has been provided for why this amount of money is being withheld.
Waterford County Manager Denis McCarthy said that this meant that the €507,000 due to them for the third quarter would not be handed over. In respect of the final quarter payment, Waterford County Council is still at risk of losing another €90,000.
The monies, which are to be paid in November, will not be affected if over 65% of people comply with the household charge. For county and city councils with compliance rates of between 60% and 65% a deduction of 0.5% of the initial General Purpose Allocation will be made, which will locally amount to €90,000. So far, 61 % have paid the charge in the County.
Mr McCarthy added that spending will be prioritised for areas deemed most in need, with county roads earmarked for works.
Cllr James Tobin said that no matter how many people pay the charge, Waterford would still be left short vital funding.
“We are not getting €507,000 back no matter what. That tells people out there that you were right. Even if they pay the county will be left short. Where is that money gone to? I can hazard a guess that it’s gone to O’Reilly’s big hole in the health service. It’s a disgrace. They can glamourise it anyway they like, we are still down €600,000.”
Cllr Michael J. O’Ryan said that even if there was 100% compliance at this stage the County would still be fined, while Cllr Brendan Mansfield labelled the whole thing a “farce” and said it was bullyboy tactics by the Minister when he encouraged councils to follow the lead of the council in Clare when it came to delaying student grants for those who had not paid the charge.
He said there was a lot of anger amongst people who had paid the charge out of fear only to find out that cuts are still to be made in the area.
“The knife has still gone in, not as deep as we thought, but to the value of €600,000. It’s gone in to bail out the bondholders,” he added.
Proposing speech for Motion That Waterford City Council demands that Minister Phil Hogan desist from his proposal to abolish Waterford City Council as an independent entity.
The Minister for the Environment & Local Government Phil Hogan is currently considering the abolition of Waterford City Council as a stand alone entity. I oppose this move as it would strip the city of a dedicated administration. Anyone who has visited either the newly opened medieval Museum or the Bishop’s Palace can see that for 800 years the city council has worked to protect the rights and privileges of this ancient city and the citizens that live here and make it the�place that it is today. Todays Council is the inheritor of that work and we continue to work to lead and develop our city. I for one am proud of our achievements so far.
via Cllr Mary Roche.
via Cllr Mary Roche.